Nooooo!


Come on!! It's April for crying out loud!! Of course, I've seen it dump 14 inches in April before.. Hopefully this won't be one of those...

We drove to Winfield Kansas Friday for the interment of Jo's uncle Howard's ashes in the Wall of Honor at the Veteran's Cemetery in Winfield. It was a moving ceremony, and thankfully short as it was cold and windy. It was a 7 hour round trip, so we were both pretty well worn out by the time we got back.

Well, my Velocity laptop got back home Saturday. I was a little surprised, because there were never any of the updates Velocity said I'd get during the repair process. I got one message from them letting me know it had arrived at their service depot, but nothing after that, until the UPS truck showed up.

Although they did replace the keyboard and DVD drive, within moments of booting it up, it locked up on me. Several times. It took me a half-dozen re-boots to get it to settle down to a point where I could start removing the apps I wouldn't be using on it any longer.

I removed Photoshop, Lightroom, and the Adobe Cloud app, as well as Poser. I have those on other machines, so they're not needed on this machine.

After the third or fourth lockup, I sent a rather - shall we say pointed - email to Velocity. I was pretty pissed at that point after paying them 318 bucks to fix the damn thing. I guess "fixing it" consisted of the replacement of the keyboard and DVD that I'd requested. I also requested the other issues (s-l-o-w or no response to mouse commands, opening folders, etc.) be addressed. Clearly they were not.

I was finally able - after several hours messing with it - to get it working fairly smoothly, and the  DVD drive does work fine - I was able to watch Rogue 1 on it last night with no issues. I don't know if the Adobe stuff was causing it issues, or what. It should have plenty of power to handle both the Adobe apps and Poser. My Powerspec laptop from Microcenter handles both Adobe and Poser with no issues. And it was half the price of this Velocity.

Anyway, it's a pretty safe bet I'll never buy another Velocity, nor will I recommend them. This whole episode has been unimpressive to put it mildly, and has left a bad taste in my mouth for anything Velocity.

I did get an update from Origin, and it looks like they found and fixed the problem. Apparently there was a loose screw that holds the M.2 drive in place, and it was not making good contact. They are doing some additional testing on it, and hopefully it will be home soon. I'm just relieved that it was the computer that had a screw loose, and not me!

Well, that's about it for this entry. I'm so ready for warmer weather to arrive. It's time to get outside, shoot some photos, fly some drones, and start on some of the projects on this house.

Later!

Comments

Popular Posts