Improving Security..

 
My latest project (like I needed another one.....) is improving the security here. I've just picked up a new camera / DVR system from Microcenter. This is a Night Owl system with four 4K cameras and a DVR with a 1TB hard drive, and - most importantly - network connectivity. Once tested and installed, I can download apps for both computers and Ipads that will let me view the cameras from anywhere with an internet connection.

I'll be doing some setup and testing the next couple days before I do the "running up and down ladders" fun all day. I'll need to make a couple new mounting assemblies also, but that's no biggie.

I've had a lower-quality setup for years, but the only way I can record is by using an old webcam app to capture still images every few seconds. And I frequntly don't have it running during the day. The images are only 700 pixels, so it would be difficult to identify any perps with it.

Yesterday, sometime between about 2:30 - 5:30 PM, someone pushed open my driveway gate, and left both gates open into the street. I don't know who, and I don't know why. There were no signs of anything being disturbed in the yard, so most likely is was just kids playing around, thinking they were being clever and funny. This is not the first time this has happened. Of course the image capture wasn't running at the time. 

This got me thinking - especially with the direction this neighborhhod seems to be headed - it's high time to get something a bit more advanced. It might help what few nice neighbors I have as well. Just last week my neighbor to the west told me that her neighbor (2 houses to my west) found the windshield on his pickup truck smashed out, and asked if my camera might have seen something.

I am reminded - once again - how much we both want to get out of this rapidly declining s##t-hole.

Comments

Popular Posts