Update: 05 - 28 - 22

 I think it’s about time to do some catching up.. Things have been really crazy and busy lately.

Jo’s brother has had a ton of medical challenges this month. He’s still in the hospital but doing a lot better. We went to see him today, and he looked really good. He’s in good spirits, talking and laughing a bit. He should be going back to the rehab hospital in the next few days.

I’m still dealing with the depression issue, but it seems to be getting better. Some days are good, and some days are not so much. But overall, I feel like it’s improving.

Jo and I have been talking about the foreseeable future a bit, and what we want to do. We’re both tired of this house, and this area. There are a number of a particular type of people that have moved into the area. These are the type of people that love their loud, obnoxious, base-heavy noise pollution, and want to share it with everyone within a 6 – block radius.

Speaking for myself, I just don’t feel like I belong here any longer. Although she tolerates stuff better than I do, Jo is pretty much the same.

We are very seriously thinking about a move to a senior / retirement community or apartment. I'm 73, and she's 71, and we're not getting any younger, unfortunately. The real estate market is totally off-the-map insane since the COVID mess. We paid about $87,000 for this place back in 2003. Zillow estimates it is worth about $140,000 now - which is good for us. But you can’t buy anything reasonably decent for much under $250,000 that isn’t in an area where a bulletproof vest is required equipment. At least for now, a retirement community might be a good option for us. Personally, I'm not quite as enthusiastic about mowing lawns or shoveling snow as I used to be.

With that in mind, we’re looking at some serious down-sizing. Looking at all those insulators I’ve amassed since we lived in our first house, I estimated I have somewhere around 500 – 600 of the things. I don’t need that many. Even if we moved to another house, I don’t think I’d want to haul all those to the new place. I’m going to be doing some radical thinning out. I’ve saved a few boxes of my favorites, and the rest are going bye-bye.

Boxes of Insulators

                                                                         

 I had hoped to give most of them away, so I Googled ‘insulator collectors’ and got an email address for the Missouri Valley Insulator Club. I sent a message over a week ago, but never had the courtesy of a reply. So… Off to the recycling center.

First Box for Recycling

I have a bunch of old drawing tablets as well. I contacted a lady that has some art / craft classes to see if she’d want them. She did respond to say she’d check to see what days the facility was open and get back to me. That was almost a week ago. Nothing since. I’ll give her another week – it might be due to the Memorial Day Holiday.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a bit of an update, to let anyone that follows this blog know what’s shakin’ in the weird world of Rod.

Later!

Comments

Popular Posts