Rod's Lair Website News

Back in late May of this year, I opened an account with hosting provider NameCheap in order to migrate my website, domain, and email from GoDaddy due to GoDaddy’s absolutely abysmal and totally useless “customer support.” It’s been well over a year since they switched the email “service” over to Microsoft 365. Both Jo and I use Mozilla Thunderbird as our email client. Jo’s email stopped working almost immediately, and mine followed suit a few months later. When either of us try to log in, we get this error:

 


I don’t know how many hours I spent racking my brain, trying everything I could think of to get the email working again.

I also tried getting help from GoDaddy’s “Support Chat” feature. First, you have to get past the ‘chat bot’ that asks all kinds of stupid questions that have nothing to do with the issue at hand. After I finally got tired of going in circles, I requested to chat with a human. The result was not much better.

I finally sent a postal letter to the CEO. A couple weeks later I got a call from a tech who did manage to get the email working again. It lasted about a week.

I could go on and on, but I’ll keep this as short as possible.

When I signed on to NameCheap, I was instructed to sign into my web hosting “cPanel” app on GoDaddy, and create a temporary password. Then give them the username and temporary password so they could migrate my website files to their servers.

I spent the better part of the weekend trying to get it to work. I’d pass the requested info to NameCheap, but every time I’d get an email from them saying they couldn’t sign in. After trying to get the tech support people to help, I couldn’t get the Indian guy on the other side to understand what I needed. It’s probably intentional to try and keep me from ditching GoDaddy. It’s like they’re holding my files “hostage.”

Finally, after months of frustration, I wrote another letter and addressed it to every member of GoDaddy’s Board of Directors. The letters were  mailed on July 14, 2023. It is now the 26th – and I have received ZERO response from anyone at GoDaddy. Nothing.

While I’m not particularly surprised, I am not pleased, either. The next letter I mail will be to the Consumer Complaint division of the Arizona State Attorney General’s Office.

In the meantime, I need to get things in motion for the domain transfer, and email to NameCheap. As far as the website is concerned, it looks like I’m going to have to start from square one and upload the entire site manually to NameCheap’s server.

I do not know how long this process will take, but Rod’s Lair WILL be back, hopefully soon.

And if you are looking for a website / email / domain host, do yourself a favor… Choose ANYONE other than GoDaddy!

Avoid them like the plague!

Rod Shelley

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts