Monday, September 19, 2016

Update 09-19-16


Well, here it is Monday again… And today has certainly been – Monday. Today I came just about as close as I ever have to going Kylo Ren on somebody (for those of you who have not seen the latest Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie, this would be the lightsaber equivalent of going postal… Those who have seen the movie will know what I mean).

As part of my company's, contractual obligations with Children's Mercy Hospital, we service anywhere from 1400 to 2000 HP printers at several locations around the area. We are obligated to service these printers from 7:00 in the morning until 5:30 in the afternoon. My coworker comes in at 7:00AM and leaves at 3:30PM. I come in from 9:00AM to 5:30PM. There is a specific reason for this shifted schedule. There are three basic levels of priority concerning servicing these printers. There is a normal or low priority in which you have anywhere from a couple of days to a week to get the issue resolved. Next up is a high priority, in which the problem has to be resolved within eight hours. The highest priority on the list is a STAT call, which has to be resolved within a two hour window. Note that I said resolved – not just looked at, but resolved.

This morning, just after 8:00 AM, an email came in on my company phone. There was a STAT call at the facility in Overland Park. At approximately 8:08 AM – as I was getting ready to leave for work – my phone rang. It was my coworker informing me I needed to head straight out to the Overland Park facility first thing. Now I may be looking at this in the wrong light, but it seems to me like the whole reason behind him going in two hours early is to take STAT calls that come in before 9 o'clock – not just pick up the phone and ask me to take them.

I could go into a whole lot of additional details, but I'll suffice it to say I was less than enthused about the situation. I was even more aggravated when I had to drive all the way back to the main hospital to pick up another printer to replace the one in Overland Park. Then, to add to my irritation, the printer I took with me did not work when I installed it. This entailed yet another trip back to the main hospital to pick up another printer. This little episode took me until 2 o'clock in the afternoon to get resolved – well outside of the two-hour window. And on top of that, about 140 miles of driving – and a 10 minute lunch. 

Anyway, now that I've started off with a big long negative epistle, I'll do a couple of quick updates on more positive things.

I did get my electrical problems all taken care of. The new circuit breaker arrived, and last weekend I replaced it. Everything is now working fine on that side of the house. I think I also mentioned in my last entry that I got the sound back on my main computer. I'm still thinking very seriously about replacing this old machine in the near future.

In other news, I'm still playing around with DAZ studio, and really enjoying the renders I'm getting. As I noted my last post, the render times seem to be quite long for a scene with any complication at all – as in several lights, a large scene with many props, or multiple figures. I love it, but I probably won't be doing any complicated T.N.A. renders with it. I'll stick to Poser for those.

Well, this is gone on long enough so I'll bring this entry to a close, and hopefully be in a better mood and post something a little bit more positive next time. Have a good week, everyone!

No comments: