Monday, September 05, 2016

Update 09-05-16

Okay, after a bit of a break, it's time for another update. Obviously, my website is back up and working properly. It took Go Daddy several days to get their act together, and I was on the verge of telling them to stuff it and going ahead and finding another hosting service. But I'll stick with them for the time being – hopefully things will remain as stable as they've been the last couple weeks. With the website, I mean...

Otherwise, things have been pretty crazy lately. Last weekend, we had a lightning strike somewhere out back, and it took out a circuit breaker that controls the whole south side of the house. All the sockets on the front wall of the living room and kitchen are now out of commission. I checked the circuit breaker that controls that circuit, and it had activated. When I tried to push it back in, it just kept kicking back out. It's an older type of circuit breaker called a pushmatic, and they are not easy to find. I had to end up ordering one online. Hopefully, it will be here sometime this week, and hopefully the problem is actually the circuit breaker. If not, I guess I'll have to do more troubleshooting and see what shorted out.

In addition to that, for some screwy reason it also knocked out the sound on this computer. Strangely enough, I could still dictate with Dragon, but there just wasn't any sound. I even tried getting one of those little USB sound dongles from Micro Center – that didn't even work. Then today, my subscription to AVG antivirus had one day left before it expired. I had already made up my mind I wasn't going to renew it, and just use Microsoft security essentials which I have on a couple other computers, and it works fine.

After replacing AVG with Microsoft security essentials, for some reason, the sound came back. But the sound quality is not nearly as good as it used to be. There's lots of distortion, and I still think the lightning strike did some sort of damage. I'm wanting to replace this computer, anyway – it's several years old and has numerous problems. Once I replace it, I will probably rebuild it as a security computer and web cam server.

I've been doing some playing around with DAZ studio 4.9, and I'm really enjoying the renders I'm getting, although I've noticed it takes a long time to do a sizable render with any kind of detail. I just did one today at about 2500 pixels by 1400 or so pixels. There was one figure, an interior room prop, and three lights: a distant light to simulate moonlight, a point light in the ceiling, and a spotlight to the side. It took over seven hours to do that render! It looks awesome, but obviously I won't be using DAZ for some of my complicated scenes for the T.N.A. story.

Speaking of which, I've taken a short break to do some writing on chapter 6, and I'm also working on creating a short trailer for chapter 6. I'm hoping to start posting the first chapter 6, pages on or around October 1.

Well, here it is Monday already, and I'm sitting on the tail end of a three-day weekend… Why do they go so freaking fast? So it's back to work tomorrow fixing printers, and lugging them all over Children's Mercy Hospital.

For now, I'm gonna go ahead and sign off, but I'm still working on keeping this blog updated more often. See you next time!

No comments: