Friday, July 20, 2012

Playing with speech recognition

I am sitting here At 1:00 AM Like an idiot, talking to my computer with this little desktop microphone.  I'm experimenting with the speech recognition feature in Windows 7.  I thought this might speed up commenting that I do in my friends' galleries on Renderosity.

I am not entirely sure that this is any faster than typing even though I am a two fingered typist.  For instance, it took me four tries to get the part about being a two fingered typist right.  There are certain words that I cannot say or the software misinterprets what I am saying.  For instance if I say the word 'correct,' the software tries to correct the word that I just typed.  And it just took six tries too 'type' the previous sentence.

I still have to go back and correct several errors in spelling and grammar such as the word 'too' in the last sentence.  I do not think that speech recognition is going to be of much use as the technology stands now.

I may try Dragon Naturally Speaking at some point.  Hopefully, it is a little better at recognizing speech than this feature built into Windows.  Going back to repeatedly correct errors just takes far too much time.  And that is what I am trying to get away from.

I am typing from this point....

It took me about 5 minutes to get through the paragraph above where I mentioned Dragon Naturally Speaking. The computer simply could not recognize words like 'what,' 'that,' 'is,' 'be,' 'type,' and so on. I'm not sure if Dragon's speech algorithms are any more efficient than the recognition built into Windows. The "Home" package has a MSRP of $99.99, and Office Max has it for $89.99, but I don't want to spend 90 - 100 bucks for it and not be able to take it back if it doesn't work. I need a tool to simplify my life, not add to my stress! I have plenty of that, already.....

No comments: